We’re thrilled to announce our partnership OpenFin, as we firmly believe that a secure HTML5 container is what is needed to marry the huge innovations and advancements that have happened in UI development in the web world over the last few years with the demanding and complex requirements for a like-native experience that trading and financial services firms have.
OpenFin really does let you build some of the most demanding, complex trading applications – things that have previously been delivered via native applications or via rich internet application runtimes like Flex or Silverlight – with web technology.
It also lets you deliver capabilities for web-native interoperation that are just impossible without substantial engineering effort – today.
We’ve put together a demonstration of the functionality and features in OpenFin that allow you to build a web app that really stands out from the competitors – the demo can be found here.
A problem inside large organisations with diverse sets of development teams, with different experiences, who have delivered a varied range of projects – projects that were typically delivered with the technology stack the team was familiar with, not necessarily the right technology stack – in these sorts of organizations, asking your web developers to build your trading applications may not go so well. They may not have the skills, or the business understanding, to understand the value of OpenFin and what it can do for project delivery and technology strategy.
Through our partnership with OpenFin, we have a number of services that can help your organization deliver on the promise of HTML5 as a front-end development technology.
The history of web application development is an interesting one.
– We started with static HTML5 pages, then progressed to server-side rendering with call outs via the ‘common gateway interface’.
– Microsoft gave us XMLHttpRequest, which led to AJAX.
– Then we saw the huge explosion of web services. The detour, wisdom or folly, into SOAP, and then finally REST.
– We’ve had comet, with long-polling allowing us to deliver new data to the client and do in-place updates.
Fundamental Shift to Real-Time
With HTTP/2.0 and WebSockets, we are seeing a fundamental shift in the architectural techniques that are available to web developers and web application architects. We are just starting to see the first wave of real-time single pages apps, real-time mobile web apps, as well as real-time web apis.
This always-connected, push-based approach, often enabled with third-party vendor products, to deliver data to clients has led to different architectures and design patterns, knowledge of which is not necessarily as widely spread as it needs to be. Websockets, specified and delivered as part of the HTML5 initiative, are enabling the ability to deliver this style of application to web browsers, and mean more and more teams are attempting to build real-time applications.
As a consultancy, we specialize in building applications and infrastructure that enable the real-time delivery of information to clients on both desktop and mobile. We understand the challenges around building these sorts of applications, as we have been building e-commerce single dealer platforms as well as distributed collaboration or workflow platforms for some number of years now.
Not all teams are equipped with the knowledge or experience to do this. Building these complex applications is not something that a standard web development team, which may have previously been building internal tools, necessarily knows how to do.
You need to make sure you set your projects up for success by gaining knowledge and understanding of this new technological landscape.
With our partnership with OpenFin, Adaptive is ready to provide a number of services around their product.
- Demo and proof of concept. We can help you deliver a working proof of concept on OpenFin to allow you to explore and validate your ideas.
- If you have queries on how to deploy OpenFin applications – what the right way to do it is, both internally and externally, we can help. And we can also help you define and deliver a strategy around an app-store concept, built on top of Open Fin. We will also ensure you leverage any existing investment you’ve made in other technologies via interoperation as part of the strategy.
- Front end development and delivery. Once you’ve established your concept, and need to deliver it fast, and get it right the first time, we can help.
- If you are wondering how to make best use of the opportunities presented by the real-time web in other parts of your business, we can provide expert consultancy on real-time collaboration and workflow tools, and the technological infrastructure needed to accelerate your development and delivery.
Director at Adaptive Financial Consulting