Business Analyst (Real-time Trading Systems) – London/Finance
Adaptive was founded in 2012 based on the common desire of four software engineers, who met in the trenches, to work together again. It was built from the ground up as a place where talented people can find challenges, and get recognition commensurate with their abilities. We provide the opportunity to tackle a variety of complex problems using cutting-edge technology, to meet our clients’ needs and ambitions.
Since our humble beginnings, we have grown to about 200 people in 4 locations (London, Barcelona, Montreal and New York), while maintaining the same ethos.
We focus on the delivery of bespoke solutions, as we believe this is the key for our clients to keep control over their core business activities and maintain a competitive advantage. To mitigate the risk in investing in a new build, we have an array of accelerators at our disposal, including our Aeron-based, battle-tested platform Hydra.
We have several opportunities getting close to a start, and are looking for Business Analysts who would be a good fit.
- Applicants are expected to have significant experience working in the financial sector, with experience working on real-time trading systems being especially sought after
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- In particular, the ability to explain even complex concepts clearly through written & visual mediums is expected, so as to create a trusted set of reference documents for the team and for the client
- Ability to work with distributed teams & keep everyone aligned on common goals without meeting face to face
- This includes an expectation to verify and triage information
- There is no expectation to be present on site until the current predicament is under control -- Adaptive is taking a prudent stance
- Once the situation stabilises and only then, there will be an expectation to be able to come on site in the City of London punctually, on short notice
- Ability to create & maintain a product backlog with multiple stakeholders
- Actively manage the client’s expectations, make assumptions explicit and keep a log of important decisions throughout the engagement
- Factor in business value and complexity of implementation to help clients with decisions regarding iterative delivery (quick delivery of critical functionality with subsequent improvements)
- Work with UX, QA and developers throughout the backlog building process
- Remain closely involved with the team throughout the delivery of the backlog
- Active involvement in design activities
- Take part in Event Storming / Workflow-Driven Design workshops (prior experience animating a plus)
- Capture and define the processes/workflows impacted by the solution we are delivering
- Propose functional solutions to the client’s business problems
- Active involvement with Quality Assurance, User Acceptance Testing activities
- Write falsifiable Acceptance Criteria (experience writing tests in Cucumber or other equivalent BDD tool appreciated)
- Test the application manually & write bug reports to the same standard as a tester (if not with the same efficiency)
- Support users during UAT
- Take an active role/the lead in defect investigation & triage (familiarity with monitoring/logging capabilities of the live solution a plus)
- Sufficient understanding of technical idioms
- In particular, some understanding of data structures & communication protocols is expected to allow discussion with technical experts and the capture of related requirements
What do we offer in return?
Our leaders foster a flat and collaborative structure and our experts have extensive technical experience and strong business knowledge. You will be able to learn a lot from them, and them from you. You will be working on challenging projects and get every chance to share your opinions and grow professionally. No politics, no nonsense, just a great team and a great project.
Some of our success stories include:
An app store that allows users to browse available apps and install to their desktop without Administrator rights. The system provides an auto-update mechanism and also captures usage statistics
Adaptive brought our experience in large scale e-commerce platforms to quickly specify and agree an architecture with the client. The design enabled rapid development in the short term but also granted flexibility and agility in the long term.
Please note that the successful candidate will need to have a background check due to the kind of projects we work on.