Product Owner – Low Latency/Manhattan
Product Owner - Low-latency brokerage platform
Based in New York
Adaptive was founded in 2012 based on the common desire of four software engineers, who met in the trenches, to work together again. It was built from the ground up as a place where talented people can find challenges, and get recognition commensurate with their abilities. We provide the opportunity to tackle a variety of complex problems using cutting-edge technology, to meet our clients’ needs and ambitions.
Since our humble beginnings, we have grown to about 200 people in 4 locations (London, Barcelona, Montreal and New York), while maintaining the same ethos.
We focus on the delivery of bespoke solutions, as we believe this is the key for our clients to keep control over their core business activities and maintain a competitive advantage. To mitigate the risk in investing in a new build, we have an array of accelerators at our disposal, including our Aeron-based, battle-tested platform Hydra.
We are building a highly scalable asset brokerage platform for our client, servicing a variety of retail, institutional and omnibus accounts.
That client is experiencing exponential growth, and they have chosen Adaptive and our accelerator platform as the backbone for their new infrastructure to face those scalability challenges. A team of 10 is focusing on the delivery of that core business functionality as part of an ambitious, time-critical delivery program.
- Applicants are expected to have significant experience working in the financial sector, with experience working on real-time trading systems being especially sought after
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- In particular, the ability to explain even complex concepts clearly through written & visual mediums is expected, so as to create a trusted set of reference documents for the team and for the client
- Ability to work with distributed teams & keep everyone aligned on common goals without meeting face to face
- This includes an expectation to verify and triage information
- There is no expectation to be present on site until the current predicament is under control -- Adaptive is taking a prudent stance
- Once the situation stabilises and only then, there will be an expectation to be able to come on site in our NY office punctually
- Ability to create & maintain a product backlog with multiple stakeholders
- Actively manage the client’s expectations, make assumptions explicit and keep a log of important decisions throughout the engagement
- Factor in business value and complexity of implementation to help clients with decisions regarding iterative delivery (quick delivery of critical functionality with subsequent improvements)
- Work with UX, QA and developers throughout the backlog building process
- Remain closely involved with the team throughout the delivery of the backlog
- Active involvement in design activities
- Take part in Event Storming / Workflow-Driven Design workshops (prior experience animating a plus)
- Capture and define the processes/workflows impacted by the solution we are delivering
- Propose functional solutions to the client’s business problems
- Active involvement with Quality Assurance, User Acceptance Testing activities
- Write falsifiable Acceptance Criteria (experience writing tests in Cucumber or other equivalent BDD tool appreciated)
- Test the application manually & write bug reports to the same standard as a tester (if not with the same efficiency)
- Support users during UAT
- Take an active role/the lead in defect investigation & triage (familiarity with monitoring/logging capabilities of the live solution a plus)
- Sufficient understanding of technical idioms
- In particular, some understanding of data structures & communication protocols is expected to allow discussion with technical experts and the capture of related requirements
In return, we offer-
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: Diversity and inclusion are key to a great workplace and Adaptive is better when it’s more representative of the world around us. Everyone should feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work at Adaptive, without any fear of judgement or negativity. All we ask is that our colleagues are passionate about what they do, have the skills needed to be successful in the role and are adaptable and collaborative
- Family medical, dental and vision from day 1
- 23 days vacation
- Life Insurance
- Commuter Benefits
- Gym Subsidy
Some of our success stories include:
An app store that allows users to browse available apps and install to their desktop without Administrator rights. The system provides an auto-update mechanism and also captures usage statistics
Adaptive brought our experience in large scale e-commerce platforms to quickly specify and agree an architecture with the client. The design enabled rapid development in the short term but also granted flexibility and agility in the long term.
The Small Print
Please note that the successful candidate will need to undergo a background check due to the kind of projects we work on.