Java Developer / junior – mid level
Adaptive was founded in 2012 based on the common desire of four software engineers, who met in the trenches, to work together again. It was built from the ground up as a place where talented people can find challenges, and get recognition commensurate with their abilities. We provide the opportunity to tackle a variety of complex problems using cutting-edge technology, to meet our clients’ needs and ambitions.
Since our humble beginnings, we have grown to over 200 people in 4 locations (London, Barcelona, Montreal and New York), while maintaining the same ethos.
We focus on the delivery of bespoke solutions, as we believe this is the key for our clients to keep control over their core business activities and maintain a competitive advantage. Furthermore, we are developing a platform to accelerate the delivery of our projects (front-office trading systems). Our solution is based on the low-latency messaging solution Aeron and Aeron cluster, which is geared toward building high performance, highly available event-driven services.
What you will do on a daily basis:
- Design, implement and test new features & components in Java
- Maintain and improve existing components of the platform used by our consulting teams
- Provide production support for our platform to our clients: the R&D team has a rota to provide support to customers. When you are “on support” you continue normal R&D activities but if a client has an incident, it takes precedence.
- Document components as part of the development process, continuously improve documentation and knowledge base
- Ensure high level of quality through full suite of automated tests (unit tests, integration tests)
- Support Adaptive development teams and clients using our technical platform (developer support)
What you will do time to time:
- Participate in release management and improvement of the release management process/automation
- Train Adaptive development teams and clients with our solution and prepare training material (slides, exercises, etc)
- Work closely with our consulting team to help them use efficiently the platform and gather feedback to improve the platform
- Help Adaptive teams bootstrap new projects based on our platform
- Support sales and pre-sales activities (prototypes, client pitches, support platform evaluation process, etc)
- Create marketing / technical PR material: blog posts, articles, white papers, etc
Skills and experience we are looking for:
- Solid server-side software development experience in Java or C#
- Experience providing support or services directly to a customer (i.e. client-facing roles)
- Enjoy working in a collaborative environment and pair programming most of the day
- Passionate about building distributed, scalable, reliable, and performant software
- Even-tempered and able to remain focused on solving production issues when they arise
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Language: English (fluent)
Nice to have but NOT essential:
- Experience in a product business (building a product, releasing a product, supporting a product, etc)
- Experience with modern UI development (Web, ReactJS, TypeScript, etc)
- Experience of technically training other people
- Experience with message-driven programming (messaging systems, etc)
- Experience with Aeron and/or Aeron cluster
- Experience with FIX
- Experience with C/C++
- Experience with low latency systems
- Experience speaking at conferences, meetups
- Experience working with distributed teams
What we offer in return:
Our leaders foster a flat and collaborative structure and our experts have extensive technical experience and strong business knowledge. You will be able to learn a lot from them, and them from you. You will be working on challenging projects and get every chance to share your opinions and grow professionally. No politics, no nonsense, just a great team and a great project.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: Diversity and inclusion are key to a great workplace; Adaptive is better when it’s more representative of the world around us. We want everyone to feel comfortable bringing their whole selves to work without any fear of judgement or negativity. All we ask is that our colleagues are passionate about what they do, have the skills needed to be successful in the role and are adaptable and collaborative.
Check us out on our different platforms!
The small print:
Please note that due to the nature of our work, we will run a background check on the successful candidate after an offer has been accepted.
Candidates can find our privacy notice here: Adaptive Candidate Privacy Notice