Senior Java Developer – Finance
We believe that great software is built by teams where collaboration, mutual respect and a drive for quality are front and centre. We want diverse perspectives, a passion for learning and we want people who care deeply about their work. We simply don't understand how long hours cultures are a source of pride or expected to produce excellence. We don't get how combative, political environments are meant to generate amazing teamwork. We don't want an environment where people dread going to work each day. If you feel the same way, please get in touch for a non-committal chat with a member of our team
We are Adaptive, where you’ll use the latest technology to design, build and operate bespoke, real-time, front-to-back solutions for tier-one investment banks and commodity trading firms financial clients using the latest technology, in flat teams where innovation and collaboration are the backbones of our success.
Adaptive is developing a platform to accelerate the delivery of our projects (front-office trading systems). Our solution is based on the low-latency messaging solution Aeron and Aeron cluster, which is geared toward building high performance, highly available event-driven services.
What you will do on a daily basis:
- Design, implement and test new features & components in Java
- Maintain and improve existing components of the platform used by our consulting teams
- Provide production support for our platform to our clients: the R&D team has a rota to provide support to customers. When you are “on support” you continue normal R&D activities but if a client has an incident, it takes precedence.
- Document components as part of the development process, continuously improve documentation and knowledge base
- Ensure high level of quality through full suite of automated tests (unit tests, integration tests)
- Support Adaptive development teams and clients using our technical platform (developer support)
What you will do time to time:
- Participate in release management and improvement of the release management process/automation
- Train Adaptive development teams and clients with our solution and prepare training material (slides, exercises, etc)
- Work closely with our consulting team to help them use efficiently the platform and gather feedback to improve the platform
- Help Adaptive teams bootstrap new projects based on our platform
- Support sales and pre-sales activities (prototypes, client pitches, support platform evaluation process, etc)
- Create marketing / technical PR material: blog posts, articles, white papers, etc
Skills and experience we are looking for:
- Solid server-side software development experience in Java
- Experience providing support or services directly to a customer (i.e. client-facing roles)
- Enjoy working in a collaborative environment and pair programming most of the day
- Passionate about building distributed, scalable, reliable, and performant software
- Even-tempered and able to remain focused on solving production issues when they arise
- Experience working in an Agile environment
- Language: English (fluent)
Nice to have:
- Experience in a product business (building a product, releasing a product, supporting a product, etc)
- Experience with modern UI development (Web, ReactJS, TypeScript, etc)
- Experience of technically training other people
- Experience with message-driven programming (messaging systems, etc)
- Experience with Aeron and/or Aeron cluster
- Experience with FIX
- Experience speaking at conferences, meetups
- Experience working with distributed teams
Our success stories include:
An app store that allows users to browse available apps and install to their desktop without Administrator rights. The system provides an auto-update mechanism and also captures usage statistics
Adaptive brought our experience in large scale e-commerce platforms to quickly specify and agree an architecture with the client. The design enabled rapid development in the short term but also granted flexibility and agility in the long term.
The small print:
Please note that the successful candidate will need to undergo a background check.